Following proper safety protocols is extremely important in spaces where children go to be taken care of and learn. One […]
Following proper safety protocols is extremely important in spaces where children go to be taken care of and learn. One forgotten step or an overlooked rule could result in real tragedy, and that’s exactly what happened at one preschool in New York City.
According to CBS New York, an educator at the Seventh Avenue Center for Family Services allegedly gave 3-year-old Elijah Silvera a grilled cheese sandwich, despite a severe dairy allergy that reports say was well-documented by the school.
Shortly after eating the sandwich, Elijah went into anaphylactic shock before being rushed to a nearby hospital. Unfortunately, doctors were not able to save him.
Health officials claim the preschool had failed to follow any kind of written safety protocol plan and was being investigated for failure to “supervise a child adequately.”
Elijah’s grieving family continues to search for answers and seek justice, and officials have promised to provide both.
“There is nothing more important than the safety of our children and we are deeply saddened by this tragedy,” the health department said in its statement. “We will get to the bottom of what happened here.”