Living a life that has some kind of meaning is one of the most widely held goals in existence — […]
Living a life that has some kind of meaning is one of the most widely held goals in existence — something by which we motivate and measure ourselves.
10 Values You Need To Live A Meaningful Life
1. Empathy– Connecting with people and building strong relationships is sometimes highly dependent on putting ourselves in someone else’s shoes. Empathy doesn’t entail us comparing our lives. It lies in our attempt to know that our experiences need not be the ultimate truth. Seeing the world from someone else’s lens allows us to understand new perspectives and grow more.
2. Politeness– Politeness isn’t a degree in diplomacy or being fake. It’s our ability to stay civil when met with people, conversations or situations that are not what we’re used to or agree with.
3. Resilience- Things do and will go wrong. How comfortable do you feel with the reversal of personal or professional fortunes? Everyone takes a fall at some point, but our resilience lies in our ability to get up again and push for more.
4. Confidence- The ability to take a risk and stand up for your beliefs is being confident in yourself. It doesn’t require you to be arrogant. It’s simply showcasing courage and following through.
5. Humor- Being able to laugh at ourselves or take our disappointments lightly is a real skill. Anger, self-harm or jealousy can be other ways to channel the same emotions. By adopting a more positive outlook towards what life has to offer, is also a way to take yourself less seriously. Being cynical is often the easy way out.
6. Self Awareness: Looking inwards allows us to know our true north. It helps us understand our own reactions and emotions in a better way, instead of launching a blame game.
7. Forgiveness: You can only pay forward. There are so many times when you may have made small mistakes that others overlooked or helped you work on. To be able to forgive others when they make errors is being kind and thoughtful. Just like you’d want people to be towards you.
8. Hope– Not all is well with the world. But time heals, and improves what we see today. Having the belief that better things are still to come is what we need to get up each morning and start our day.
9. Patience– Do you suffer from wanting to be perfect all the time? There’s merit in living life keeping the big picture in mind. Hurry slowly to allow yourself to live more fully.
10. Sacrifice- Each of us lives a life for ourselves. By building compassion and a sense of sacrifice, we can contribute to people and things beyond us. We can have impact beyond our immediate concerns and needs.
All these little things make a huge difference in creating a supportive community around us. Our values are the glue that connects us to ourselves, friends and family by getting us closer to what really matters the most.