Enjoy this twist on a traditional comfort-food. This version of paella is easy peasy and will become a family favourite. […]
Enjoy this twist on a traditional comfort-food. This version of paella is easy peasy and will become a family favourite.
- 20 ml extra virgin olive oil.
- 1 medium brown onion, finely sliced.
- 300 g free-range chicken thigh, diced into 2cm chunks.
- 2 medium garlic cloves, minced.
- 1 teaspoon cumin, ground.
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika.
- 1 teaspoon turmeric, ground.
- 400 g diced tomatoes, tinned.
- 1 bunch asparagus, diced into 3cm pieces.
- 1 cup cooked basmati rice, defrosted.
- 1/4 cup frozen peas.
- 2 cups baby spinach leaves.
- 30 g Parmesan, flaked.
- 1/4 cup parsley, finely sliced.
- 1. Heat the olive oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add in the onion and cook for 4-5 minutes, or until softened.
- 2. Add the chicken pieces into the frying pan with the onion and cook for 3-4 minutes, tossing regularly until browned all over (the chicken will finish cooking later). Add in the garlic, cumin, smoked paprika and turmeric and stir through for 30 seconds, or until fragrant.
- 3. Add in the diced tomatoes, asparagus, and Cooked Basmati Rice. Bring to a rolling simmer and cook for 5 minutes, or until the asparagus is tender and the liquid has reduced slightly.
- 4. Stir through the frozen peas, baby spinach leaves and a generous seasoning of salt and pepper for 1 minute or until spinach has wilted and the chicken has cooked through.
- 5. Divide the Spring Chicken Paella between a bowl for dinner and a container for lunch tomorrow. Serve both sprinkled with Parmesan and parsley.