“On the way home from a fun swim meet, I heard Britton make an odd retching noise in the back […]
“On the way home from a fun swim meet, I heard Britton make an odd retching noise in the back seat as I was driving,” Kelly Rose Joniec wrote on Facebook.
“Looking back in the mirror, I saw her face turning red and drool pouring from her mouth — she could utter noises but looked panicked so I immediately pulled over,” she continued. “She pointed to her throat saying she’d swallowed something, so I attempted Heimlich but there was no resistance.”
The girl had put one of three bushings from the spinner in her mouth to clean it — but somehow swallowed the metal piece.
Her mom drove to an urgent care center, where medical workers were unable to determine whether it was lodged in her airway or her esophagus.
The girl was then rushed to Texas Children’s Hospital in The Woodlands, just north of Houston, where X-rays showed the nickel-size bushing was stuck in her esophagus.
“The GI doctor was fascinated… he’d only just learned of fidget spinners that morning when he was at the mall with his son, so it was a surprise to be faced with one in a case a few hours later,” Joniec wrote.
Finally, the doctor used an endoscope to remove the object.
“Fortunately, we had a positive outcome, but it was pretty scary there for a while,” the mom said.
Joniec had a word of caution for parents about the toy, which originally was designed as a therapeutic tool for kids with ADHD and autism.
“Fidget spinners are the current craze so they are widely distributed. Kids of all ages may be getting them, but not all spinners come with age-appropriate warnings,” she said.
She pointed out that the bushings pop out easily and can pose a potential choking hazard for young children.
The twirling toys have become so popular lately that they’ve been banned in some schools.