October 26, 2017 A 31-year-old Texas man died last week after being diagnosed with a rare flesh-eating bacterial infection known as […]
October 26, 2017
A 31-year-old Texas man died last week after being diagnosed with a rare flesh-eating bacterial infection known as necrotizing fasciitis, the Galveston County Health District announced Monday.
According to health officials, the man recently worked on repairing several homes damaged by Harvey flooding.
The Houston news channel KHOU identified the man as Josue Zurita.
Zurita went to the hospital on October 10 with a seriously infected wound on his upper left arm and was diagnosed with necrotizing fasciitis, according to the Galveston County Health District.
Zurita was a hard-working carpenter who left Mexico to help provide for his family, and that he became infected while working to rebuild Harris and Galveston counties.
An obituary said Zurita was a hard-working carpenter who left Mexico to help provide for his family, and that he became infected while working to rebuild Harris and Galveston counties.
CNN reported that on Sept. 15, a 77-year-old woman, Nancy Reed, also died of flesh-eating bacteria near Houston. A medical examiner report said the cause of the Reed’s death was necrotizing fasciitis. Reed was helping her son clear out his home when she accidentally injured herself and contracted the disease, according to an associate pastor at the church that hosted Reed’s memorial service.
Medical officials emphasized proper wound care in preventing infections. They urged people to adhere to the following:
• Keep open wounds covered with clean, dry bandages until healed.
• Don’t delay first aid of even minor, non-infected wounds (like blisters, scrapes or any break in the skin).
• Avoid contact with natural bodies of water (lakes, rivers, oceans) if you have an open wound or skin infection.
• Wash hands often with soap and water or use an alcohol-based hand rub if washing is not possible.
• Seek medical attention for redness, swelling or fever.